"Volskcement"

"VOLSKCEMENT" (RU: "Вольскцемент") is the productive consortium of the Ministry of the Industry of the Building Materials of the USSR for the development and processing of the cement raw materials within the surroundings of the Volsk city, within the Saratov province of the Russian Federation. The consortium has been organized during the 1973. The consortium includes 5 open-pit quarries, and the industrial cement plants: "Bolshevik" (has been founded during the 1897), "Kommunar" (1912), "Krasnyi Oktyabr" (1900). The raw materials base is the Volsk deposits of the chalk, clay, and gaize, with the proven reserves, respectively, of 445, 91, and 73 million tonnes (1980). Within the geological structure of the territory, there participate the depositions of the Lower and Upper Cretaceous, and of the Paleogene, and the Quaternary formations. The useful stratum is represented by the black clays of the Aptian (with the thickness of 6.1-22.4 metres) and Albian (7.7-17.5 metres) stages with the interlayer of the sandstone, by the marly chalk of the Turonian stage (4-12 metres), by the brecciated chalk of the Coniacian and Santonian stages (2.5-4.0 metres), by the so-called intermediate chalk of the Campanian stage (12-19 metres), and by the white soft chalk of the Maastrichtian stage (up to 60 metres). Yet higher, there are embedded the Lower Syzranian gaizes (3-50 metres), which are overlain by the Quaternary loams (10.6 metres), and by the layer of the soil and vegetation. At the deposits, there have been unsealed two aquifers with the yields of 95 cubic metres per hour and 4.6 cubic metres per hour, and there are widely developed the landslides.

There is used the transport system of the development with the multiple transloading of the raw materials from the upper sub-benches onto the transport horizon. The loading of the raw materials is performed using the power shovels, and the delivery into the industrial plants is performed using the railway and automotive transport.

The technology for the obtainment of the cement is the processing of the raw materials together with the water within the MMS-70X23 autogenous mills (the "Bolshevik" industrial plant), and within the stirring mills (the "Krasnyi Oktyabr" and "Kommunar" industrial plants), and later within the mills for the raw materials, up to the required fineness of the milling. The mixture (sludge) of the raw materials, which has been corrected according to the chemical composition, with the humidity of 40-42%, arrives into the rotating kilns for the roasting. The clinker (the product of the roasting), together with the additives (gypsum and dry gaize), is milled within the cement mills, and the cement is delivered from there using the pneumatic transport into the silos for the storage. The cement is shipped using the railways, and, during the period of the riverine navigation, using the barges. The purification of the outgoing gases from the rotating kilns, and from the aspiration of the air from the cement mills, is performed within the electric filters and sleeve filters. The annual productive capacity is approximately 3600 thousand tonnes of the cement (1980).

The "Bolshevik" industrial plant has been awarded with the Order of the Red Banner of the Labour (1949).