Institute of Volcanology

INSTITUTE OF VOLCANOLOGY of the Far Eastern Scientific Centre of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR (RU: Институт Вулканологии ДВНЦ Академии Наук СССР) has been organized during the 1963 within the Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky city on the basis of the Laboratory of Volcanology of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR (Moscow), of the Kamchatka Volcanological Station, of the Kamchatka Geological-Geophysical Observatory of the Siberian Division of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, and of the Pauzhetskaya Monitoring-Observational Geothermal Station.

The major scientific direction of the Institute of Volcanology is: the study of the modern superficial and underwater volcanism, and of the geological, geophysical, and geochemical phenomena, which are associated with this volcanism, the study of the geothermal energy and geothermal resources within the volcanic regions, the forecasting of the volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. There exist within the structure of the Institute (1980): 4 scientific departments, namely, of the volcanism and geology, of the geophysics, of the geothermal energy and geochemistry, of the physical-chemical methods for the analysis; 17 laboratories, and the network of the seismic stations and geophysical stationary facilities; the Kamchatka Volcanological Station within the Kluchi city, and so on. The Institute of Volcanology has the "Vulkanolog" scientific-researching vessel (with the displacement of 1100 tonnes), which is purposed for the study of the underwater volcanism. There are being published the collections of the works (since the 1937), and of the "Volcanology and Seismology" scientific journals since the 1979.

The Institute has been awarded with the Order of the Red Banner of the Labour (1969).