Balaklava mining administration

BALAKLAVA MINING ADMINISTRATION named after A.M.Gorkiy (RU: Балаклавское рудоуправление) is the enterprise for the extraction and processing of the fluxing limestones on the base of the Balaklava deposit within the Crimean province of the Ukrainian SSR. The industrial extraction has been started during the 1933 by the Kerch metallurgical plant. It belongs to the structure of the "Ukrogneupornerud" productive consortium of the Ministry of the ferrous metallurgy of the Ukrainian SSR.

The major industrial centre is the Sevastopol city. It includes two open pit mines, two beneficiation plants, railway and mechanical repair workshops, and so on. The deposit is situated within the south-western part of the Crimean mountains, it is formed by the carbonatic depositions of the Upper Jurassic age (Kimmeridgian and Tithonian stages) with the thickness of up to 1200 metres. The area of the deposit is broken by the tectonic disturbances (dip-slip faults, oblique-slip faults) into the individual blocks, within the limits of which there have been explored five places. The total reserves of limestone are 640 million tonnes (1981). The height of the extraction benches is 15 metres. The breaking of the rock is performed by the borehole explosive charges, the extraction is performed by the excavators, the transportation is performed by the dump trucks. The delivery of limestone to the Balaklava beneficiation plant is performed by the high-mountainous conveyor line (the length is 1100 metres, the width of the belt is 1 metre, the angle of inclination is 17 degrees). The beneficiation of limestones is performed within the multi-section washing machines (the productive capacity is 250 tonnes per hour).

Balaklava mining administration produces the fluxing limestone and crushed gravel for the construction works. The extraction of the raw limestone is 9 million tonnes per year (1980). The productivity of the labour of the worker is 68.5 tonnes per shift. There has been assigned to the enterprise the name of A.M.Gorkiy (1936).