All-Union Correspondence Polytechnic Institute

ALL-UNION CORRESPONDENCE POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE (VZPI; RU: ВЗПИ, Всесоюзный заочный политехнический институт) of the Ministry of the Higher and Secondary Special Education of the USSR is situated within the Moscow city; the institute is the teaching-methodological centre for the correspondence education. During the 1932, on the basis of the energetic, construction, and chemical-technological correspondence institutes within the Moscow city, of the divisions of the mining correspondence institute within the Donetsk city, of the petroleum correspondence institutes within the Baku and Grozny cities, and of the Ural association of the correspondence institute, there has been created the All-Union Correspondence Institute of the Technical Education, which has been transformed during the 1935 into the All-Union Correspondence Industrial Institute; the modern name is used since the 1947. There are within the structure of the Institute (1982): 11 faculties, including the mining-petroleum faculty; the preparatory division; the subsidiaries within the Gubkin, Kolomna, Noginsk, Orsk, Podo lsk, and Ryazan cities; 19 teaching-counseling places within the Moscow province and other provinces; 10 supporting places at the large industrial enterprises; the faculties for the improvement of the qualification. There learn within the institute (1982) 36 thousand students. There conduct the training of the engineering cadres for 50 specialties the 66 cathedras.

At the mining-petroleum faculty, the training of the cadres is conducted for the following specialties: the geological survey, prospecting, and exploration of the deposits of the useful minerals; the hydrogeology and engineering geology; the mine survey craft; the technology and comprehensive mechanization for the underground development of the deposits of the useful minerals; the beneficiation of the useful minerals; the design and operation of the gas pipelines and petroleum pipelines, of the gas storage facilities and petroleum depots; the technology and comprehensive mechanization for the opencast development of the deposits of the useful minerals; the mining machines and complexes; the machines and equipment for the productive petroleum and gas fields; the electrification and automation of the mining works.

The major directions of the scientific-researching works at the faculty are the problems of the rational usage of the bowels of the Earth, and of the protection of the environment, the prospecting and exploration of the useful minerals, the improvement of the development of the deposits of the useful minerals, the development and introduction of the new technology for the beneficiation of the useful minerals, the mechanization and automation of the major labour-intensive production processes. During the years of the existence, the institute has trained 68 thousand engineers, including the mining-petroleum faculty has trained more than 6 thousand engineers. There are published the collections of the works since the 1952.